This is one of the must read book I recommend to every online entrepreneur. Even if you have no money to start your online business, you can still make fortunes from the strategies given inside this book. The book is all around creating content and creating audiences for your business.
You can use content as a tool to build the massive audience and following of your choice and then build products and services for your audience.
This concept greatly resonates with the – Be Media First concept by Ryan Deiss. The concept of Native Commerce by Ryan Deiss also suggests the entrepreneurs to become the media first and grab the attention of targeted audience.
In Content Inc., he breaks down the business-startup process into six steps, making it simple for you to visualize, launch, and monetize your own business. These steps are:
• The “Sweet Spot”: Identify the intersection of your unique competency and your personal passion
• Content Tilting: Determine how you can “tilt” your sweet spot to find a place where little or no competition exists
• Building the Base: Establish your number-one channel for disseminating content (blog, podcast, YouTube, etc.)
• Harvesting Audience: Use social-media and SEO to convert one-time visitors into long-term subscribers
• Diversification: Grow your business by expanding into multiple delivery channels
• Monetization: Now that your expertise is established, you can begin charging money for your products or services
Following is the amazing podcast by Brian Clark with Joe Pulizzi.
In this episode Joe Pulizzi and I (Brian Clark) discuss:
- Why startups are more innovative than large companies at content
- The coming exodus of talent leaving the enterprise for startups
- Multiple examples of successful companies that were “audience first”
- When Content Inc. is available for purchase
- The inspiration behind the Content Inc. Summit
In my personal opinion, you should create, aggregate and curate content around your products and services. You should create a great content experience with content creation, aggregation and curation for your audience and grab the attention of your target audience.
Once you have build the audience, you can create more products and services that fits into the need of your audience.
If you have the top tier online business model on the backend then you can use the strategies inside this book to build the audience for your online business.